A hot shower in the morning, clean dishes at night, stains out of clothing, washing your hands and everything in between is made better with a hot water heater. Without a reliable water heater, the appliances in your Louisville, KY home can’t work as they are meant, and you’re left shivering in the shower. Just like any other appliance in your home, your water heater requires attention, maintenance and occasional repairs to keep it running effectively.
Common Water Heater Repairs
Most water heater repair issues are obvious to detect. Here are some of the most common problems. Does this sound familiar?
- My water heater is making strange noises: Some noise is harmless, but it’s a good idea to call in a water heater repair before the problem gets worse just to make sure the system is well-maintained
- My water is dirty: This is usually a sign of corrosion and if left untreated, your heater will likely develop a leak. You can fix it, but only if you catch it early.
- My water stinks: This is likely due to bacteria in the tank, you can have your system flushed or replace the anode rod which is a common water heater repair.
- I have water leaking from my water heater: Anytime you see water leaking from you’re the hot water heater, it can be concerning. First, notice whether it’s leaking from the top or the bottom.
- From the top: This is usually due to loose pipes or a failed valve and is often an easy repair.
- From the Bottom: This is usually normal, most electric water heaters produce condensation and have an overflow pipe which produces water. However, a significant amount of water from the actual tank itself usually means you need a new unit and it’s time to call a professional.
- When I turn on the hot water, the pressure drops: Most often low pressure means your pipes might be too small. There may be other water heater repair options to avoid repiping your house, but these can only be determined by a professional.
- My hot water runs out too fast: This could be a tripped breaker, thermostat, or a problem with one of the heating elements. These elements can be repaired or replaced without buying a whole new system.
- My water takes forever to heat up: If your heat is taking longer than usual to show up, it could be due to age or buildup on your heating element. Your water heater could probably use a good cleaning to solve this problem.
- I can’t get the water to cool down at all: Again, this is likely a thermostat or a wiring issue that should be looked at by a professional. Even rewiring can be a simple same-day water heater repair in most cases.
Different Types Of Water Heaters
When it comes to residential or commercial water heaters, there are five main types used in Louisville, KY homes and businesses.
1. Conventional Storage Tank Water Heater: This is what most people are most familiar with, it’s a large tank that holds water to be heated. The size of your tank determines how much hot water you have available at once.
2. Tankless Water Heater: This is more modern technology that allows water to be heated on-demand, so you have an unlimited supply of hot water. There is no tank involved, just a series of super-heated coils that flow with water when you need it.
3. Heat Pump Water Heater (Hybrid Water Heater): This type is a more energy efficient option that uses heat in the air and the ground to heat your water. It still uses electricity to move the heat, but not to generate the heat. It usually cuts energy usage in half or more if you live in an area that is usually very warm. This style of heater is quite large, sometimes up to 8-feet tall.
4. Solar Powered Water Heater: This water heater combines with the power of the sun to heat your water. It makes a great addition to a home that already uses solar panels. The energy from the panels is transferred to a closed-loop system and heats water in a tank, similar to a conventional water heater – but costs less to run.
5. Condensing Water Heater: If you use natural gas to heat your house, this might be a good option for you. A condensing water heater funnels heated exhaust from your existing natural gas system to heat your water. It is a tank system that recycles the energy you’re already using to heat the water in the tank.
Water Heater Installation: How To Pick The One For You
If your water heater suffers severe damage or has had too many repairs, it is probably best to install a new one. When it’s time to upgrade, you will enjoy additional benefits including:
- Better efficiency
- Better hot water recovery rate
- Smaller in size thus saving space
Selecting a new water heater is not something we recommend doing on your own. Instead, talk to one of our expert technicians in Louisville, KY to get their expert opinion on which one is the best for your needs.
There are 3 main things you need to consider:
Fuel Type: The fuel type may be electric, oil, geothermal, natural gas, propane, or solar. This will affect the operation cost, size, and efficiency of your unit.
Size: The size you choose depends on your household demands and the type of system. Choose the size that will provide all the hot water you need while still maintaining efficiency for your home.
Energy Efficiency: Water heating typically accounts for about 18% of your utility bill. To maximize your energy and cost savings, every unit comes with an energy efficiency rating based on the amount of hot water produced per unit of fuel. This is important to understand before making a water heater purchase.
What You Get When You Pick Blackburn and Davis, Inc
- Reliable: You can count on us to do what we say we are going to do.
- Highly-Trained Technicians: Each of our HVAC technicians has completed extensive training and participates in Continuing Education.
- Licensed & Insured: You can rest assured knowing our work is guaranteed and should anything go wrong, we have your back.
- Transparency: We explain all work in detail to the customer and make them well educated on the services they are paying for. We will be upfront with pricing, problems, and recommendations.
- Unmatched Customer Service: We are in business to help you. Our customers are our #1 priority and our job is not done until you are 100% satisfied.
Turn Up The Heat With Blackburn and Davis
Some water heater repairs are relatively simple and can be fixed the same day while others may indicate a more serious problem. If you are getting only lukewarm (or downright freezing) water out of the tap, it might be time for a water heater repair.
We are proud to serve Louisville, Prospect, La Grange, Crestwood, and surrounding areas.
Give Blackburn and Davis, Inc in Louisville, KY a call to schedule a visit and let us help you turn up the heat.