Specializing in residential and commercial air conditioning repair, Blackburn and Davis, Inc is committed to keeping clients in Louisville, KY cool and comfortable. No matter how old your system is, we’ll work our hardest to repair it in a quick and cost-effective fashion.
Whether you need air conditioning repair work for a single unit or an entire office building, our highly trained and experienced HVAC service technicians are right here in Louisville, KY to provide the speedy, high-quality service you can depend on.
Signs Your Air Conditioner Needs A Repair
In most cases, air conditioners can be repaired without replacing the whole system. Here are a few signs to look for that your unit may need an air conditioner repair:
- Warm air or inconsistent cooling performance: It defeats the purpose of air conditioning if the air is warm. This may be an issue with the compressor or the refrigerant, both can usually be repaired with a single service.
- Poor airflow from your vents: This is usually one of the first signs you’ll notice when your AC needs some attention. If you don’t feel a rush of cold air within a few minutes, chances are there’s an issue that needs to be addressed.
- Short, frequent cycling of your cooling system: This could be an issue with the motor or the thermostat, but anytime your unit continually shuts on and off frequently is cause for concern.
- Excessive Humidity: Your air conditioner is also in charge of keeping the Louisville humidity out of your home. If your space is more humid than usual, it’s a good indicator your air conditioner needs to be looked at.
- Visible pools of moisture or other signs of a leak: Your AC shouldn’t create pools of moisture under the ground. If you’re noticing water, that’s the time to call for an air conditioning repair before you risk water damage.
- Unexplained noises or unpleasant odors during operation: If you hear a banging, clanging, whining, or smell eggs, mold, or mildew – that isn’t a good sign. An air conditioning repair to inspect the fan, belts, and internal mechanisms may be necessary.
Your Air Conditioning Unit: When Is It Time To Repair or Replace
If your air conditioner is past its prime and it has had one too many repairs, then the question arises; repair or replace? Here are some points that can help you make the decision.
- The air conditioner uses R-22 (also known as HCFC-22): Most air conditioners made before 2010 use R-22, also known as Freon, which is no longer being manufactured. With R-22 (Freon) being phased out, the price has increased drastically and it’s time to replace your unit because adding R-22 will cost you more in the long run.
- Age of AC Unit: Typically, a furnace in Louisville, KY will last 15 to 20 years. But this isn’t a hard and fast rule. You may have a unit that is only eight years old, but needs to be replaced. Other units can head into year 20 running strong. Generally, the difference is the quality of product and maintenance history.
- You’ve called for a lot of repairs recently: If you are having to call for frequent air conditioning repairs, then that is a good sign your furnace is nearing the end of its life. If the cost to repair is close to 50% of the cost of a new furnace, it’s time to replace it.
- High Energy Bills: If your usage is staying the same, but the energy bills creep higher, it’s a sign that your unit is working harder than necessary. Newer units in Louisville, KY are simply more efficient and can save you money in the long run.
Benefits Of Having a Well-Functioning Air Conditioner
Of course, we all want a comfortable place to live and work. But the benefits of air conditioning go above and beyond a steady indoor thermostat.
- Decreased Breathing Problems: The air conditioning in your home can help reduce breathing problems and asthma attacks. According to the Mayo Clinic, running an AC lowers the amount of pollen, mold, mildew and other allergens that can symptoms.
- Safety: Typically, when you have reliable air conditioning, you keep your windows and doors shut, which adds security against human and animal intruders.
- Increased Health: Did you know that your air conditioning can actually help you make healthy choices? It can! When your home is comfortable, you’re more likely to hit up an at-home workout. No one wants to work out in a hot house.
- Less bugs: Air conditioning filters are more effective in keeping those Louisville bugs out. If you have an open window, you’re inviting in a whole host of pests. Shut the window and turn up the AC to protect you (and your pets!) while keeping your house cleaner.
- Better Sleep: If you’re tossing and turning at night, your air conditioner might be able to help. We actually sleep better in colder conditions and air conditioning is the perfect answer to that.
- Increased Productivity: Did you know that people are more productive when they are working in an air conditioned building? It’s true. Cool down your home and you might be surprised at how much more you can get done during the day.
- Reduces The Risk Of Dehydration: Lower temperatures mean less sweating, which keeps up from losing a large percentage of our water intake. It is important to keep hydrated and air conditioning can help do that.
- Reduces The Risk Of Heat Stroke: Hundreds of people have died from heat stroke across the country. Even right here in Louisville, KY we can experience summer days over 100 degrees. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that, “air conditioning is the number one protective factor against heat-related illness and death.”
- Less Noise: When you have air conditioning working through the home, you can keep doors and windows closed both indoors and out, allowing your home to be more quiet and calm throughout the day.
FAQs About Air Conditioning
Should I cover my air conditioner in the winter?
No, that can actually do more harm than good. Covers trap moisture that leads to more damage than leaving them exposed to the elements. Covers also give rodents a warm place to make a nest, which causes a lot bigger air conditioning repair.
What does the SEER rating on my A/C mean?
It stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, which determines the efficiency of your unit on a scale from 10 to 20. The higher the SEER rating, the more you save on energy consumption.
Why is my air conditioning system freezing up?
There are several reasons for this, it may be low refrigerant or dirty coils or defective motors. Regardless, it may require an air conditioning repair with a technician at Blackburn and Davis, Inc in Louisville, KY.
How long will my air conditioner last?
Good air conditioners can last as long as 15 years if they’re properly maintained and repaired, but most will develop problems after seven to ten years if they’re neglected.
How do I maximize my air conditioner’s energy efficiency?
The best way to make sure your air conditioning system is running it’s best is to ensure all air vents are unblocked, use a programmable thermostat and keep up on regular maintenance for your system.
Can I replace my outdoor unit without replacing the indoor unit?
Yes, but a mismatched system may cost you a lot more in energy use because it will reduce the efficiency of the outdoor unit dramatically. In addition, a new system may not run on the same type of refrigerant that your old system was using, so it’s not always compatible. You’re always better off replacing all the parts at the same time.
How often should I have my air conditioning serviced?
We generally recommend having your air conditioning serviced once a year, the spring is a good time to get it done.
Why Blackburn and Davis, Inc Is #1 In AC Repair
- Reliable: At Blackburn and Davis, Inc, you can count on us to do exactly what we say we are going to do. We make sure to be on time for each appointment and provide reliable customer service when you need it most.
- Highly-Trained Technicians: Each of our air conditioning repair technicians have completed extensive training and participates in Continuing Education to have the most up-to-date information for all makes and models and any air conditioning repairs.
- Licensed & Insured: You can rest assured knowing our work is guaranteed, we are fully licensed and insured and should anything go wrong, we have your back.
- Transparency: We are upfront with pricing, problems, and recommendations. We explain all air conditioning repairs in detail to make the services you are paying for.
- Unmatched Customer Service: We are in business to help you. Our customers are our #1 priority and our job is not done until you are 100% satisfied with your repair.
Keeping It Cool
At Blackburn and Davis, Inc, our goal is to get your air conditioning working the way it should. Whether your system is simply slowing down or has stopped functioning completely, we’ll arrive at any location in and around Louisville, KY with our tools and knowledge to work up a solution. We pride ourselves on providing air conditioning repair services that are as effective as they are affordable. And because we value our clients, we strive to achieve complete customer satisfaction on every job we undertake.
Blackburn and Davis is proud to serve Louisville, Prospect, La Grange, Crestwood, and surrounding areas.
Give us a call today for all your HVAC needs!